Which side of your brain is dominant?
Note the characteristics which apply to you.
Then look at the answer key and check to see which characteristics are left brain (L) and which right brain (R).
Sum them up and discover whether you are left brain or right brain dominant.
1. I am usually late for my appointments.
2. I make gestures with my hands when I talk.
3. I usually guess the time correctly.
4. I like to read the instructions when I buy something new.
5. I often catch myself day dreaming.
6. I find it easier to remember names instead of faces.
7. When someone asks me a question I turn my head to the left.
8. I like to set goals for myself and organize my time.
9. I work better when I listen to my favorite music or radio station.
10. Hey, aren't you listening?, is a question I am frequently asked.
11. I pay attention to what is being said rather than how it is said.
12. I analyze the pros and cons when making an important decision.
13. A messy desk is a sign of genius.
14. When I have many things to do I begin with the easy ones.
15. I write my holiday greeting cards early.
16. I approach new tasks by relating them to accomplished ones.
Sum up your responses from the answer key below. Do not award points for the opposite side if you did not answer affirmatively to a question.
Example, question 13: A messy desk is a sign of genius.
From the answer key below, question 13 corresponds to 'right brain' or 'R'. If you believe a messy desk is a sign of genius, award a point for 'R'. You should not award a point for 'L', if you do not believe that a messy desk is a sign of genius.
Your score shouldn't exceed 8, and could be as low as 0, for either or both 'R' and 'L'.
|1. R||9. R|
|2. R||10. R|
|3. L||11. L|
|4. L||12. L|
|5. R||13. R|
|5. R||14. L|
|7. R||15. L|
|8. L||16. R|
Right brain individuals are intuitive, creative and imaginative. They are flexible and are concerned with the bigger picture rather than details. They are impulsive and spontaneous and do not like time limits. They have difficulty explaining ideas verbally and prefer illustrations to verbal instructions.